Kubernetes is one of the most in-demand skills in the IT industry today. Beginners and pros are getting themselves certified to prove their skills. But are these certifications worth the effort and money? The simple answer is yes. These certifications will help you to progress in your career path or make a transition into the DevOps world.
Kubernetes certification cost
There are 3 certifications provided by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) and Linux Foundation:
1. Certified Kubernetes Administrator (CKA)
This certification is for cloud/system admins or DevOps engineers. CKA deals with the day-to-day operation of the Kubernetes clusters. It demonstrates that you have the ability to install, manage, and configure Kubernetes clusters. It also focuses on the scheduling and workload aspects of Kubernetes. You will be capable enough of troubleshooting issues in Kubernetes.
This certification is for people who will be running apps on Kubernetes. You will build, deploy, and configure the apps on Kubernetes. It focuses more on the aspects related to the developer. Building and designing the apps. Running these apps on Kubernetes. Observing the health of the apps. Maintaining the apps and their versions.
You may learn more about CKAD on our article: What Is CKAD and Why Should You Consider Taking It?
This certification is for security specialists. You will be responsible to secure the Kubernetes clusters. Restrict access to unauthorized users. Minimize the exposure to the applications. Monitor the threats and logs of the system. You must have an active CKA certificate before appearing for the CKS exam.
The duration of the exams is 2 hours. All three are hands-on exams where you need to complete multiple practical tasks. The certificate remains valid for 3 years except for the CKS exam. It is valid for 2 years.
You may learn more about CKS on our article: CKS Exam Guide: Overview, Tips, and Resources (2022).
What do they cost?
For each of them, the exam will cost you $395. You can attempt the exam 2 times per registration. They also offer courses related to these certifications. If you opt for the course as well, the combo will cost you $595. You can also buy CKS and CKA exam combo at $675.
Is Kubernetes Certification Worth It?
Yes. It is worth it for a number of valid reasons. Here are the reasons why you should consider getting certified:
- If you are a beginner, it will help speed up your learning process. You will study for the exam in a much more organized manner. The practical exam will help you learn how to solve real-world problems. So you get much better, relevant experience with Kubernetes.
- If you have no job experience, the certification will help you stand out. Compared to other job applicants with no experience, you will have the certification added to your resume. So you'll get a better chance to get called in for an interview.
- People with little experience can benefit from these certifications. They will get an idea of how they fare in Kubernetes. Going through the exam will show you where you have strong knowledge. But it will also show where you are weak at. So you can work harder in those aspects.
- Even people with experience can benefit from these certifications. For example, maybe you master the concepts from CKA and CKAD. But you want to round up your knowledge. So you can go through the CKS exam. This will also teach you about security aspects. Your knowledge is now more complete. You can assume more responsibilities at your job, and get a better salary. It shows your employers that you are very serious about your role and very capable.
- The certifications can help you get into the DevOps domain. You will enter a job market with high potential salaries. You will be able to work in this domain for many years in the future. That's because Kubernetes is in great demand. More and more companies are running their apps on the cloud. And Kubernetes helps run these apps efficiently and securely. It is a very popular tool and will continue to be so.
Not sure where to start? you may check out our Kubernetes Learning Path.
Getting yourself certified is a great way to prove your ability and learn efficiently. You will thoroughly learn about important concepts of Kubernetes. Then only you will be able to go for the certifications. And the exams will be further proof, to yourself and your employers, that your knowledge is complete. Want an easy way to study for CKA, CKAD, and CKS? KodeKloud provides courses that will help you ace these exams - Certified Kubernetes Application Developer (CKAD), CKA Certification Course, and Certified Kubernetes Security Specialist (CKS).